(509)574-3400 Fax: (509)249-4458
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You have an opportunity to give your loved ones a tremendous gift so that during a health crisis they can focus on caring for you and not worrying about making the wrong decisions on your behalf.
Here are a few of the questions Advance Directives help you with:
- Who would you want to make decisions for you when and if you are unable to?
- What sort of medical treatment would you want ... or not want?
- How comfortable do you want to be? If there comes a time to decide whether you would want to be awake or would prefer to be comfortable-would your loved ones know which is important you?
- How do you want people to treat you if you are unable to explain yourself to them?
- What do you want your loved ones to know?
North Star Lodge, as part of Virginia Mason Memorial, abides by all advance directives that are legal in Washington State. One advance directive that deals with all of the above questions and is easy to use is the Five Wishes document, available in 27 languages and accessible in hard-copy and electronically by clicking on Five Wishes, which will take you to the Aging with Dignity website (not associated with North Star Lodge).
For additional questions or concerns, patients are encouraged to consult their physician or members of their health care team.
CANCER SURVIVORSHIP CONFERENCE
One Day . Survivors & Caregivers . Free To All.
As the leader of the cancer program at VMM in Yakima, I'd like to invite each and every one of you to participate in a free on-line Cancer Survivor's Conference this year on August 5th.
I came to Yakima from Pierce County, where we have held a free Annual Cancer Survivorship Conference each year for 13 years. This year, because of the Covid pandemic, the conference is being offered remotely to anyone who can register on-line. I invite you to join in and listen to the speakers and subjects that are interesting and helpful for you.
Although we would never have chosen to live through a pandemic, this remote conference is a great way to learn more about cancer survivorship and hear the experts on various topics from the comfort of your own home. Please invite friends and family members to register as well. May this conference be enlightening and empowering for everyone who participates. Thank you.
To minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19, Virginia Mason Memorial (VMM) would like to remind all patients and visitors that masks are REQUIRED at all VMM facilities, including our clinics.
To conserve supplies, we request that all patients and visitors bring masks to their appointments. A limited number of reusable cloth masks, made by community members, will be available if you need one.
We also strongly encourage all community members to wear masks when in public &emdash; this is one of our best tools to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
NEW! May 7: What are we doing to keep cancer patients safe during COVID-19?
- Screening every patient for COVID-19 symptoms outside North Star Lodge
- Converting visits to telehealth, either on-site or from home
- Drawing labs from patients in their cars, when possible
- Segregating suspected COVID-19 patients on a separate floor
- Giving chemo and radiation treatment at the end of the work day to anyone with COVID-19 or post-COVID-19 infection to ensure patient safety and to allow for the space to be sanitized
- Sending all patients with COVID-19 symptoms for immediate screening
- Creating safe distancing between chemo chairs
- Converting exam rooms to individual chemotherapy rooms
- Conducting televisits in parking lot for patients needing technical assistance in the use of clinic iPads
- Increasing hydration and supportive care to reduce ED and hospital visits
- Putting in place same-day symptom management visits
- Providing masks to all visitors to the building
- Ensuring all staff working with patients wear masks
- Reducing the number of patients and staff in the clinic to ensure social distancing
NEW! Telehealth: Let us bring your Healthcare to you.
We are now offering Telehealth visits at all Virginia Mason Memorial clinics. These are typical appointments with your provider but from your home, work, or wherever is most convenient for you
COVID-19 Resources For North Star Lodge Patients
Bench To Bedside: COVID-19 » COVID-19 Q&A for cancer patients featuring Dr. Joseph McGuirk, medical director of blood and marrow transplant and cellular therapeutics, and Dr. Dana Hawkinson, medical director of infection control and prevention.